Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Polishing aluminum




When I was cleaning up the boat I used to have, I found this product to clean all sorts of metal products. It does remove rust. Some of the screws that attach the aluminum are a little rusty and this stuff does a good job. Even when the material gets black, it still works well. I sometimes wipe and get the surface wet an then use very, very fine steel wool to help remove the oxidation. I use a clean rag to wipe off the excess black stuff. It is a bit of work, but it does buff up. Before the final buffing, I was the trailer with warm soapy water. The black stuff comes of the white paint with soapy water and then waxing. I am still working on this window...it started getting dark and the skeeters came out.
I actually used Goo Gone to remove the black film. I stumbled upon using it when I was removing some tape from sections of the aluminum. It works better than soapy water. I almost think the final polish with paper towel was better too.




No comments: